View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, FE BBF
Not Ranked     
Default ERA 753 - Final Assembly Progress (ERA is almost done)

ERA is making great progress on asembling #753 and we are almost ready for delivery! Attached are some more in-progress pictures that I thought folks here might be interested in. Thanks to John at ERA for taking them!!

The first is a picture of the completed electrical system inside the tunk including the battery, a remore cutoff relay, the fuel pump controller, and a filter capacitor (barely visible above the fuel pump controller).

The next shot shows this same area with the cover that ERA made for my car installed. This piece will be polished when I get the car home.

The next picture shows the rear suspension and fuel system at the back of the car. The rear axle is an ERA unit with outboard brakes and extra strength axle stubs installed (the motor puts out over 625 ft-lbs of torque). Note the polished fuel tank and the great job that ERA did mounting the fuel pump and filters for the EFI system in the car.

The next shot shows he completed front suspension including competition brakes.

This shot shows the completed nose of the car. Again, we've polished all of the aluminum pieces inside the nose including the fans. This car also has Lucas Tripode style headlights.

The next couple of pictures show some of the details in the engine bay. All of the plumbing is installed including the custom stainless steel brake lines that I had made for the car. The wiring harness and all of the electrical components have been installed on the firewall also. This harness is a custom piece the Bob at ERA did for my car. In includes some extra goodies for the EFI system on the car.

And here's a pciture of the firewall electrical components.

I am installing an Electronnic Traction Control (ETC) system on my ERA. The system uses a driveshaft speed sensor to allow the FAST XFI Electronnic Fuel Injection (EFI) computer to detect when the rear wheels are spinning. The computer then retards the timing to reduce the power output of the motor and stop the wheel spin. This picture shows the custom made driveshaft sensor that ERA and I came up with. You can see the custom flying magnet collar that I had made along with the pickup sensor installed. This arrangement requires a slightly shortened version of ERA's standard driveshaft. Again, ERA did a really nice job with the custom work on this piece.

The next picture shows the Smith Gauges installed in the dash. I am using a voltmeter instead of the original ampmeter due to the high output alternator installed on the motor to support the electronnics on the car.

Finally, we wanted to hide all of the electronnics on the car so Doug came up with a really neat custom bracket to mount all of this stuff under the dash. The entire assembly can be removed with a couple of screws for service and wiring. Shown in the picture is the FAST XFI EFI controller with ETC, the MSD Digital 6 Plus Ignition box (top right), an auxillary fuse block to accomodate the added electrical systems, and a flash enable switch to allow re-flashing of the software in the FAST XFI computer to installed future software upgrades.

ERA is almost finished with the car and I'm hoping to take delivery in the next week or two. Then the ball will be in my court to install the engine, final plumbing, and complete all of the wiring for the EFI and traction control systems. Stay tuned for more pictures as we continue to make progress.

- Fred

Last edited by fkemmerer; 06-03-2009 at 07:08 AM..