View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tony R. is right on the money as far as 'spikes' go. When your running a 160 T-Stat, which I also would recommend the 'spikes' WILL be dependant on ambient temps AND oil temps. I can live with some spikes based on ambient, I WANT the T-Stat to open early and stay open, which is exactly what a 160 will do. The 427's are not like a typical modern engine where you put in a 180-190 Stat and the temp 'stays right there' under all conditions. Aint gonna happen, it's NOT a perfect world and never will be with a 427.

Hood rod to hot? Thats exhaust/header heat your feeling, nothing to do with engine water temp. I can burn my hand on mine most any hot or cold day.

High engine temps are not always about needing more air flow. I can be cruising along at freeway speed and on a HOT day the temp WILL start to climb toward a 100c IF the oil temp also starts has gone up. Engine oil is a big factor in engine temp management, the more the better if your running hot. A oil cooler will help to maintain engine temps under extreme conditions, though it's only one part of the big picture.

How do you KNOW your heat gauge is accurate? Mine reads high by about 5 degrees, most all of them will vary some.

I use a 'catch can' for radiator overflow so water that IS pushed out of the system is returned to the system when the engine cools. Other wise eventually, you will have to add water to the radiator.

Heres the test I would run before buying more fans. Run it at highway speed which will certainly provide as much air as any combination of fans will. If it stays within reason, then perhaps, more fan's are called for in town and slow speed, but don't expect that to be the final solution by itself.

Heat management on a 427, tricky stuff, not an easy answer. Mine consistently runs right at 90 C, a little higher in traffic. I DON'T do parades, ever. In Hawaii we rarely have a big swing in temps, it's pretty much in the 80's year round. Dead of winter, dark of night, higher elevation, it has been known to drop into the mid 50's though. Brrrrrrrrrr.....

Last edited by Excaliber; 07-16-2008 at 07:12 PM..