View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MKIII Roadster
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTDOC View Post
I will support those that have had legitimate issues and are concerned, since they have tended to be looked upon as non team players or whiners, it is the only way things will be corrected and it seems to have worked.
THANK YOU!

Yes, to me, one thing that gets old is how so many people jump on someone if they dare talk about a negative experience with FFR or any of the other beloved vendors. I find that it's especially irritating if that person is a MOD on the forum. Also, watch out if you post a positive experience with any vendors that have fallen from grace.

With that said, I'll say this. I have had very positive experiences with every vendor I have done business with, ffcobra endorsed or not, except for FFR on the shock issue. FFR has been wonderful on every other issue, including back orders, missing parts, damaged parts, etc. I have also had great experiences with http://rjminjectiontech.com/ , Ron Morris and Chuck's Electrics, all of which aren't ffcobra vendors.

Here is my take on the whole shock issue.

I'm not sure if there is a failure destined to happen if you do everything FFR says to do. But for me, not being sure is the problem. Every time I get up to speed and hit a bump I don't want to be worried that a shock is going to break and the front end is going to come down. Unfortunately nobody is going to get rid of that doubt for me, now that I have read about all of the other Bilstein shock failures for the past few years.

I do feel the Bilstein shocks are barely strong enough for the application when everything is perfect. There is just too much "tech" work involved for my comfort to make sure everything is perfect. I don't want to worry if one of my zip-ties on the shock hats broke loose the last time I drove the car. I don't want to worry if that last rain storm washed too much of the grease off/out of the heim joint. I don't want to wonder if the required washer on top of the shock hat is still in good condition. I don't want to wonder if I should flip the shocks body side up like FFR recommended or flip them body side down since nobody has reported a failure that way, even though that's not the way FFR said to do it.

So YES, I think Mr. Smith is doing the right thing by saying that he's going to offer a solution to the problem that will allow most people to get out from under the Bilstein shock worry. Yes, I do think he took too long to do it, but all the same he did it and that's all I wanted at this point. So once again, THANK YOU!

Yes it was crazy, hours after my first post, he announced that he was going to fix the problem.. I think it was coincidence, but it was interesting that he said a friend told him about "a new post on one of the discussion boards," which made it sound like he wasn't talking about www.ffcobra.com . I guess nobody will know for sure.

Yes, I love my FFR car and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm happy and proud to be a FFR owner and glad that Dave Smith appears to be planning to do the right thing. Dave Smith seems to be a very charismatic and smart fellow. He's also a businessman and I know that he's probably sick to his stomach over the money the shock issue is going to cost along with all of the negative PR this has generated. All one has to do is look at the number of people that have viewed the broken shock threads. I think the last one got up to almost 5400 people.... until the forum owner closed the thread so that it would drop off the front page.

I'm sorry if my first post here on ClubCobra stirred the pot and was a bad first post. I'm sure as my car gets closer to completion I'll probably migrate further away from ffcobra (good for build support) and spend more time here on ClubCobra (good for meeting/socializing with other local Cobra Owners). Hopefully I'll have future posts that will seem a little more productive to more people.

Stoney FFR

Last edited by Stoney FFR; 07-20-2008 at 07:46 PM..