View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     
Default What is your BEST "Cobra Day".

I have an expression...."That was a great Cobra day "....

I have used this a great number of times over the last five and a half years since I've owned Cobras, and yesterday was one of those days.

The Cobra Car Club of Queensland is the same as the other states, in that it is also home to a number of the beautiful GT40s.

The guys in our club that own GT40s , not only take part in all of our club's activities, but also have the numbers to "do their own thing " on a regular basis.

They organized a great run yesterday, and invited any of the Cobras along that wanted to take part.

I went along and had one of those GREAT days.

I just added up the distance for the day, and for us coming from the Gold Coast, it was almost 500 kilometers ( 300 miles ), which seems to be a bit of a hefty Sunday drive, but it was brilliant.

Out from Brisbane ( Gold Coast for us ) up through Aratula, on to Warwick, over to Killarney, and then the Queen Mary Falls National park, down past The Head, around to Boonah, and Beaudesert,Canungra, and the Gold Coast.

Unfortunately ,mine was to only Cobra that went along,
( We've had some big outings lately, and more big ones coming up, so I'll forgive them for not coming along....might have been too cold for them as well )
but there was a good roll up by the GT40's, with about a dozen of them taking part.

Geeez they look hot when there's a string of them all givin' it plenty on those big country roads, and some of them liked to play which suited me fine.

Of course when we'd pull up for a break, they'd climb out of the 40s in their shirt sleeves, while I was trying to thaw out, and copping a lot of those usual GT40 owner comments like "Where's ya bloody roof ?", and "Boy is it warm in my car" ...that sort of guff !

Many thanks to the GT40 guys for letting us take part.

I'm sure those of you who have owned and driven Cobras for a while will know exactly the type of day I'm talking about.

Really cold, but with the big jacket and gloves, the only part that's feeling it is your face.

The engine was absolutely "crackling", pulling like a train and sounded terrific,
open country roads, with huge sweeping turns , breathtaking mountain views, waterfalls, the winter colours, the occasional GT40 and some very quick bike riders to play with, and lots of FAST driving.

I know it's not the right thing to do...speed that is...but man those roads and those conditions were just begging to be taken advantage of, and every time we found ourselves over the 200 klm/hr mark, I reluctantly had to go back to a snails pace of 140-160 ish.
Once you got used to the pace it was really relaxing.

Never saw a cop all day....I hope they didn't see me either, and Joanne ( my Wife ) and I just keep saying what a top drive that was.

I wanted to firstly thank the '40 owners for making me feel very welcome, but also wanted to ask if you guys that have owned a Cobra, can remember those "Great Cobra Days" that we enjoy so much.

So far I've travelled over 135,000 kilometers in my Cobra, and have some fantastic memories .....

Driving 3,400 kilometres round trip and competing in the Shelbyfest a couple of years ago.

Big club runs with 25 plus Cobras all travelling as a pack

PBs at the Drags

5 years of Sprint racing

The Nationals trip every year

and many, many more.

I know those of you in the building stage will soon find out that you're building much more than a simple form of transport....it's really quite a special thing, and the sooner you can get into it the better.

For the existing Cobra drivers/owners, I'd be keen to know.........

What's your best Cobra Day ??

Regards,

Warren .

Last edited by Wazza; 07-27-2008 at 05:33 PM..