Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TButtrick View Post
And that's where the controversy lies. These are right handed threads on the passenger side which would tighten with normal wheel rotation. The wire indicates that the spinner has done just that... tightened. The conventional method is opposite from what I have but nobody seems to understand why it should be any particular way other than its just the way its been done over the years. I'm starting to think the spinners where tightened towards the rear so they didn't tighten so much that they couldn't get them off in the pits during racing?
TButtrick,
Sorry to jump in here, but before someone gets hurt, I have to totally disagree with your unconventional method. The correct and only way is RIGHT HAND THREAD ON THE LEFT SIDE and LEFT HAND THREAD ON THE RIGHT SIDE.

Now, I'll try to explain why. At least I'll try to keep it simple without getting into the engineering stuff that I wouldn't understand anyway
Here is an example of the concept I found.

Stand a roll of racers tape on edge, place a very large wrench socket inside of the tape roll, and proceed to to roll this assembly along a table top. With gravity the socket remains in the bottom of the tape roll, and as both parts roll along together the smaller part inside will rotate faster because of the
smaller diameter.

The corresponding parts on the car are the wheel hub and the large threaded nut. As the car rolls forward both parts are rotating in the forward direction, but the hub will turn slightly faster than the nut, so relatively speaking, the nut on the left side of the car turns clockwise in relation to the wheel as you drive forward, and the nut on the right side turns anti-clockwise, in relation to the wheel. Read the last sentence twice. The nut is turning the opposite way of the hub because the hup is turning faster. Get it?

To make these parts self tightening the threads must be right handed threads on the left side of the car and left handed threads on the right side of the car.

Did I convey my thoughts OK?

Of course if you are towing the car from the rear end, everything is reversed

I'll go take a nap now