View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg schroeder View Post
I'd get the .82 5th if I had to have the new 3.46 Superformance rear end gearing. I'd want a 3.73 rear gear more than I'd care about which 5th gear though.

My car was with the older 3.73 rear gear. The 28 inch tall 275/60 15 tires worked great with the .64 5th gear at 1600 rpm or higher if going up hill, about 1800 rpm flat or about 2000 rpm if going down hill. The more decline the more the car would get ahead and try to unload the drive line if at lower RPM. The motor had quite a bit of low rpm torque which probably helps. Under acceleration the 4th gear with 28 inch tall tires was good for about 140 mph, so the option of .82 or .64 5th was sort of a prefference wether you wanted to fart along with a cruiser 5th or have a more sporty feel with the 4 to 5 shift. I can't imagine continuing to accelerate after 4th though.
Your right Greg.

I wonder why SPF doesn't put the 3.73 in the car anymore?

I know the trade-offs to the lower gearing, but big horsepower with a taller rear end doesn't seem to make sense. I agree also, on the street you wouldn't keep the hammer down in 4th, and even so if you reach just above 6000 rpm's, you will still be in 4th when you trap through the 1/4 mile even using the 3.73.

They must have had old guys wanting the taller 1st gear

E