View Single Post
Old 10-09-2001, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default OZRACER, about dry sumps...

Mate, sorry I didn't reply sooner to your "Private Message", but I'd never even looked there before

With regards to the dry sumps, I will definitely be going with a dry sump system before I get the car to a track, but while I'm just a lowly paid member of a family-run business, I'm concentrating my efforts towards paying for a $10,000+ gearbox...

There are many good reasons for going with a dry sump system...greater oil control, predetermined oil pressure available throughout the rev range, shallower sump so you can drop the motor down for a lower centre of gravity, greater oil volume etc etc.

The downsides are obviously the price, and the fact that a broken dry sump drivebelt = no oil pressure! I had plans of using a camshaft driven dry sump pump, but nobody seems to make the Ford World of Outlaws sprint car timing covers to suit anymore.

I have spoken to a number of people about accusumps, and it's about lineball whether they're of any value. I believe Richard Hudgins mentioned a while back that his customers had oil surge problems even with a Canton Road Race sump AND an accusump. An Aussie with an all alloy big block Robnell has an accusump, and he still has oil surge problems on sweeping racetrack corners. There's no denying the benefits of priming your oil sytem before startup though, and the Accusump can do this for you.

There's a guy with a Robnell who I saw down at the Adelaide LeMans race, and he is using a dry sump system. Lyndon Punshon is his name. If you talk to any guys in the Cobra Club, they may be able to give you his contact details.

Hope this helps,
Craig Marsh