View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Ernie my man:

The headers are what the manifolds actually looked like on the 289 cars and maybe the 260s (not sure). They led to 2 individual tubes that joined into 1 on each side under the car then to mufflers essentially under the seats and then out the back. Often the mufflers can be seen in a side view.

The large photo posted is of the alternator on my car. I found it on a 1963 Mercury Montclair (big car). The 3 wires attach with a plastic wire connector that has 2 female spades and a flat eyelet with a 1/4" hole that fits over a threaded stud and secures the attaching plug to the alternator diode plate from the rear. I foolishly clipped the wires too short when I originally found the alternator at a wrecking yard many years ago. I have been trying to find a cource for a repop of the harness and plastic connector but to no avail. I anyone knows of a solid source I would appreciate the info. All later alternators that I have seen all had their wires attached separately on studs.
The photo of Lynns survivor has the air filter housing I was describing. BTW, as I understand it this car was owned by Fred Offenhouser, the speed part manufacturer, known for intake manifolds.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 08-16-2008 at 03:53 AM..