Thread: To LS7 or not
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here's my two cents. I built a Hot Rod of my own design that I raced at Run n Gun last year. I used all stock C5 suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, sway bars and the transaxle with a shortened torque tube. I bought a NEW, in the crate 405hp LS6 on ebay for $3900. I ran the stock clutch.
I have built several other cars, many that I raced at Run n Gun. The C5 Hot Rod was by far the best handling car I have ever driven. That list is pretty long. On a 1.6 mile road course I beat every car in my class by, I think, 6 seconds. I was even 4 seconds faster than my previous best time which I had 538hp for. I thought that my computer guy had screwed up as the car ran extremely rich and even fouled a set of plugs. I discovered later that I had an open vacum port that I had missed. The engine was on full rich. So, I wasn't even getting close to 405hp. The point is that our cars even with reasonable horsepower are fast! By the way I get over 30mpg on the street.
I am soooooo close to finishing a scratch built Cobra using all of the C/5 drivetrain. I designed and built a steel tubular space frame with a full backbone. I could not use the transaxle set up as it would have made the trans tunnel too wide. I had a new input shaft made along with a bearing carrier for the Vette diff. This allows me to run a driveshaft. I am using an LS6 with the T56 trans. because of the narrower track I had new rear axles made and a new steering rack made that keeps the correct geometry. I would love to use an LS7 but I ran out of money!!! Using the Vette parts gives me great suspension geometry, I believe the best off the shelf independent rear end available, great brakes and lets me run 18 or 19 inch rims.
My next project. The same chassis with roll cage, I hope an LS7, and a Daytona body! I just can't seem to stop. This is way to much fun!
I am going to run the new Cobra at this years Run n Gun. I'll know soon how it goes.
Good luck and have a great time with your project!! John