View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK, everyone who has had a 352 built by SA raise your hand?

...I rest my case.

If your going to compare an FE to it's modern equivelant after market block, a side oiler is the only reasonable comparison. The thin wall construction of the side oiler is a known issue and easily overcome with proper attention to detail. The modern Shelby block also has known issues which need to be addressed during assembly.

Ignore the details on EITHER block, new or old, and your going to have a serious problem no matter how well it's 'assembled'.

Quote from George Anderson, "Gessford Machine", THEE FE man (sorry Keith, ).

Quote:
Take you time making this decision about the Shelby Aluminum 427 Block. You need a very good machine shop to help with the details and ensuring all the components are perfect. Wayne has gone way above the call of duty suggesting our company...but I would be glad to offer any advice I can to help with your project. We have these running in Kit Cars with sticks and automatics.... Expect to spend over 23K for the basics and 28-33K for the better street performance engine and 45-50K if you in Wayne's range....
Just for some basic information the Block is about 5200$, the appropiate Shelby head studs (Required) are 350$ and everything else is a function of what your looking for even if you don't go with the Shelby Signature series block. The parts add up very fast and cutting corners with this Aluminum Block is not as easy as with an iron block. Many small detail can't be over looked with the assembly of this engine.
This is an old quote from George. No doubt the price has gone down and the Shelby quality has gone up. The principal argument still stands, the Shelby block requires significant machine shop work of a high order, as can be the case for a side oiler. I assume the Shelby block is capable of 9000 rpm, the side oiler block certainly is!

Last edited by Excaliber; 08-22-2008 at 11:20 PM..