View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique
Not Ranked     
Cool FEs

I have never owned a Ford FE motor until now. In reality I've never owned a Ford I could keep running except for the inline six truck motor. When I decided to build by Cobra I came real close to doing the Bowtie thing, if the 427 Chevy would have been available I probably would have. After talking to several people I was assured the FE would be different. I found a 1967 390 in a junkyard for $25.00 standard bore standard crank.

Bill and Susan built that motor for the wife and I, it was installed in a car from a small town in AL. I started the car for the first time last weekend. I primed the oil system and ran the drill motor for about 10 minutes at 50 PSI. After putting the distributer back in and starting the car it ran fine. Lopey idle that clears up with a little RPM off idle. No blue or black smoke. There was one minor issue with the remote oil filter that could have gotten by anyone. One phone call and two days a new one shows up at my door.

So far I have had a very good expierence with SA. I know that the company I bought my car from has used them for many years. Only time will tell the story about the FE's reliability for me.