View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

G'day Steve,

One approach for the intake is to make a plenum box and bolt it to your lower manifold. The main restriction in the ford manifold are the top runners. It's not too difficult to make a box up and bolt a 4 barrel on top. That way you retain the stock fuel rail etc. The plenum will give you the volume for throttle response, the 4 barrel t/b will flow 1000cfm, much more than the stocky and you'll now have short runners which will help out the top end. One of my cobra buddies (of which this was his idea to try and do) has done this to his 302 but he used 2x4 barrels. Throttle response is amazing! You wouldn't think 2x1000cfm would work on a 302 but it does. It also looks old school to boot if that's your thing.

Regardless of aftermarket ecu you choose, I'd suggest you factor in a wide band a/f meter as well. I'd recommend one from www.innovatemotorsports.com called LM2. I've got an LM1 but they're no longer available. You can get them from Rocket. You can't really self tune if you don't have a wide band a/f meter. I got mind for less than $400 aud but I figure the new LM2's will be a bit dearer. The cool thing about these meters is that the linear output can be configured to suit the ecu you have, so that what's recorded on the meter is the same as what the ecu records. Then you can datalog on your ecu and see everything that's going on. It's cool stuff and makes tuning a lot easier.

It's not too difficult to get some big numbers from a n/a 302. All it takes are heads, cam and a decent induction setup. 302's love a rev and the bottom end will cope. Do the above and stroke it to 347 and your cobra will pull harder than a 15 y.o. !

Edit:
Btw, Seimens make a great injector. I'm using Deka 63 pounders. Duty cycle is at 30% at WOT. It might be over the top size wise but the low duty cycle allows you to more control when the injectors fire which allows you to shoot deeper into the cylinder therefore reducing lost fuel out of the exhaust valve during overlap. You'll need to check the duty cycle with your new setup as the Tickford motor was probably running 18 ponders and it's d.c. could be close to max (80%) with the mods.

G'day Mike,
Yeah, it's been a while since I last updated pics etc. The Cobra was registered last Christmas. It's still in undercoat and has no trim but I've been busy making things work properly and doing fine tuning, as there was no time left to do these things before rego. I won't post pics on Steve's thread but I should post some new pics up. Part of the problem is that I've been driving the beast too much!!

Cheers

Al

Last edited by NASSTY; 08-28-2008 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: additional info