View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 12:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     
Default The Future of SB100 and DMV -->?

Chuck, Doug, Morgester, Et Al.

So when I was reading the other DMV/Reg threads --I had an idea on the future of SB100, Vintage/classic car insurance and DMV fees that I would like to bounce off of you guys. (and maybe someone higher up in DMV)

Being a classic car nut, and I had a brainstorm and it hits the insurance industry, related sections of government and DMV.

– I am trying to spec it out so it is describable to folks but here is the generic idea;

Value of Vehicles and how they are determined, emissions results for classic cars ( they are driven less and most pollute less than many think)

A> FEES/VALUES

So when someone buys a classic car there is always;

1. a DMV reported value of the car, which sales taxes and registration fees are collected on a percentage
2. An actual monies paid for the car (x dollars)
3. The amount they tell their insurance carrier it is to be it insured for.

--These are always three different dollar amounts.

–I think the disparity /delta is costing the state of CA about 20M in lost revenue yearly due to under-reported values.

---I also think that the insurance industry is losing 100M in under and over stated classic car values (cheap policies on one side, cashing in on the other)

I also believe that there is value in a properly documented "California Car"

Here is what I am thinking ;

Solution; a “California Certified Classic Vehicle Value“ that is obtained by having the car independently appraised and having that appraisal figure be the cornerstone for DMV based taxes and fees AND insurance coverage.

Now to encourage responsible owners to Insure their cars, give them a break on vehicle registration if they have “Comprehensive” coverage and hit them with a delta (surcharge) if they get the bare minimum.

B> It pays to be green; The other portion of this is emissions, there should be a sliding scale of DMV fees, based on emissions measurement and declaration. if you keep your classic car clean and well tuned you can “test better” and get a lower DMV registration bill. ---If your car is running poorly/badly you test results are worse and you pay more fees to offset your emissions. (think of it as buying your own carbon credits)

This would be based on the "engine" you have so if you have a FE 428, your clean vs dirty rating would be measured against a "Clean 1965 428 spec on file"

C> Specially Constructed Vehicles (SPCN) replicas, reproduced hot rods etc.
This is an important part of the California culture and landscape.

Since I researched how this is being done currently, I was not impressed.

Under SB100 and such there is a limit of 500 “SB100” certificate numbers that allow the vehicle to be registered as a specially constructed car, and be exempt from emissions testing.

-- since there are only 500 certificates available they are all gone on Jan 2nd. I think there is an opportunity for DMV to obtain a SPCN “Fee” say $500 (after all if you are building one of these , $500 wont kill you.) ---and increase the number of certificates available to 5000.

Bonus: if the car passes a basic sniff test (based on “B “ above) you could get a significant % off your fees.

Benefits:

I. You get your SB100 reg without waiting in line in January.
II. Everyone has the same financial information on your car and bases fees in truth (novel concept)
III.You pay less if you keep your emissions down (greenies will love it).
IV.You reduce the loopholes and the pent up needs , hence possible fraudulent activity.
V. Certified values that the insurance co cant change in case of acc.
VI. you establish a certified historical system for SPCN/Classic cars to document its history and increase its value.

Let me know your thoughts.

My Motorvation (haha)-- lets start the dialog, before someone precludes it/ IE "they" preclude it.

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com