View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default Re-Design of front suspension

A friend (Dean Lampe) convinced me I should check the bump steer of my build project. Like most of our projects one thing has led to another and I find my front geometry is severely at fault. I am showing 1/2" bump-out and 1/2" Droop-In at 2" movement in each direction. Dean suggested I correct it, that it would not make for a good handling car.

As I analyze the frame/design, I learn the steering rack is put in about 1" too high. The design of the frame make it almost impossible to move, at least easily. All of a sudden, a simple bumpsteer correction project is turning into a complete redesign of the front end.

On the existing design, the roll center calculates to about -1.2" (1 1/4" below ground level). What is the preferred range for a roll center for a FE powered car? I understand the roll center is really a dynamic point but is there a preferred range/point I should be shooting for?

As I look at the various options to correct the geometry, most of them are affecting the roll center. Can anyone point me in a correct direction. Is there an preferred starting position?

Thanks

Paul