View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default Calculated Distance

MickMate,
Using the standard MustangII tie rod ball joint, I needed about .96 inches - moving the rack down. The tie rod and LCA would have been parallel then.

I installed a Steeda bump steer kit as the heim joint mounts closer to the steering arm.

I "blueprinted" my lower ball joint connection, adding a .012 shim to the taper part of the shaft. Cut a flat pattern that formed into a cone and fits into the joint.

During production, they ran the taper reamer into the part a little too far, resulting the ball joint sucked up .156 higher. By correcting this, every little gain helps.

I just got done laying these changes into my layout and now I need to move the rack .426 down.

Being a perfectionist, I probably will move it 1/2" down, that way I have some allowance to dial-in the bumpsteer.

I am now investigating a way to support the Mustang II rack in some manner that will allow me to cut off the mounting boss that is normally used. With that out of the way, I can move it down.

On another note, have you ever seen a site or catalog that shows mounting and tie rod pivot dimensions on steering racks. When TRW was in the rack business, their X-4000 catalog had this info. But I can't find one anymore and can't find a site that offers the info. I called Flaming River and they offered very little help. I sure would like to find a rack that was 23 1/2" between pivots - this would also help my situation.

Paul