View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, FE BBF
Not Ranked     

Just an update on my electrical journey. I've completed all of the wiring harness work (power circuits, grounds, relays, fuses, etc) that I can do off the car. The attached is a picture of the FAST XFI computer and ignition box assembly. As you can see, I still have a few wires left to connect .

All of this remaining wiring goes to two basic places: 1) to the sensors in the transmission tunnel for the driveshaft speed sensor for electronic traction control and fuel pressure monitoring and 2) to the engine for all of the fuel injection associated sensors and controls. I've completed all of the terminations and connection for the driveshaft sensor and fuel pressure monitoring. Here's a picture of that part of the project:

The button on the shift control the 2-step rev. limiter on my MSD box.

All that is left is to make the connections to the engine. To give those who might consider trying to build their own EFI harness a feel for what's involved in this, the engine connections include:

1) CAM and Crank trigger connections to the distributor
2) MAP Sensor connections (measures manifold vacumn)
3) Air Temperature Sensor
4) Coolant Temperature Sensor
5) Throttle Position Sensor
6) Idle Air Control Motor
7) Wide Band O2 Sensor (in the passenger's sidepipe)
8) Fuel Injectors (there are 8, one in each intake port)

Obviously, most folks would opt to use an off the shelf harness which would not require all of this work. The advantage of building a custom harness is that everything fits perfectly with no excess wire to hide.

I think one more weekend will do it ....