View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 02:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #250
Not Ranked     

Charley,

I have a Backdraft and had the same issue. The problem is the pickup in the tank is getting uncovered during acceleration or hard cornering. fill the tanks with fuel and see if it happens then. If it does then check the stuff that Keith is saying, if not then its the fuel pickup sucking air. The quick answer is to keep at least 1/2 tank. The other solution is to use a swirl tank to supply the high pressure fuel pump. I am going to make this change to my system next month when I return to the states. Backdraft does the same thing with there cars is S. Africa for fuel injection. They use one of the bolt in frame members on either side of the diff as a swirl tank. Basically you feed the "swirl tank" directly from the main tank by gravity. Next the fuel pump draws fuel from the swirl tank to the fuel rails and returns via the regulator back to the swirl tank. Make sure that the line that feeds the pump is on the side near bottom of the bolt in member and the return is on the other end as far away from the suction as possible to eliminate bubbles from getting sucked into the pump. Then there is an over flow line from the swirl pot back to the main tank. You can use the original return for this. This ensures that when the pick up in the main tank is uncovered the pump still has fuel because the swirl tank is always completely full of fuel. Now this is different than how most set up a swirl tank because BD doesn't use a low pressure pump between the main tank and swirl tank. You should have at least 1 filter in there....I think I have a picture of one of the EFI S. AFrican cars swirl tank. I'll look for it....Mac

Last edited by Mac VABCH; 09-24-2008 at 02:57 AM.. Reason: can't spell