View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default It's not that simple Chris

ng8264723 Chris clutches are just as important as a camshaft is to a motor. You have to deceide what you are going to do with the car. Street, Autocross and roadrace, 1/4 mile blasts. Then the next thing is to match the clutch to the weight of the car and HP and torque of the motor. If I did nothing but track race, it would be a multidisc like a Tilton 8" clutch assembly. Some of the GT-40 guys run them. Light, strong, good holding power. IMO down side, clutch has to be in or out. NO SLIPPING, they burnup or glaze fast. Nascar uses them. This is why every car coming out of the pit burns rubber, it cleans the tires too. I have both my flywheels setup for any 11" clutch from either Ford or GM will mount up to my car. The only thing is changing the thrownout bearing or adjusting the linkage. We raced Ram, Zoom, Schiefer, and Stock Borg and Beck. Some made the car run a little faster, some made the first 60' a little quicker. We broke discs in everyone of them. I am going with Brent and going to try the new street twin RST that just came out. This clutch will need the proper setup and air gaps to work correctly. Breakin is also important for any clutch, (heat cycles) The only clutch I will tell you to stay away from is CENTERFORCE. Kevlar disc,I have not tryed. Would think they will take some abuse with this material. Don't get crazy on the pressure plate clamping force numbers. IMO no more than 2,800 lbs. See what the spec is. Some floater clutches also make noise at idle. Rick L