View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonNichols View Post
Superformance has been using a differential bracket that raises the diff 1/2" higher. This raises the CV away from the lower control arm.
Works like a charm, too. I had my stocker re-drilled (careful measuring and a good drill press) and this is a very worthwhile mod to older cars.

I hear you, Durt. For how I presently use my car today (100% street driving), a solid axle would hook a whole lot better and be less of a hassle. I'd have to think that considerable reworking of the rear frame members would be in order though. Not impossible, just need someone that is really good with a plasma cutter and a TIG welder. 496FE (forum member) runs a solid axle on his 700HP+ B&B and that car hooks and tracks straight (having sat in the passenger seat, I can attest to this).

What exactly happens when a half-shaft lets go (steering wise)? 100% drive to one side and that's what causes the squirreliness? It (the half shaft) is not a weight bearing member and I always thought that the a-arms, forward links and shock absorber beared the weight of the car and kept the alignment true, with or without the half-shafts in play? I can see where a catastrophic half-shaft failure can bend/tear-up these load-bearing suspension components. Please educate me.

Thanks,

-Dean #747