View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC FMS 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Clutch TO Bearing Adjustment

Terry, I appreciate your feedback and I hope modern TO bearings can be in contact with the pressure plate 100% of the time without early failure because I need to "pre-load" a certain amount to get the throw of my slave to move the arm enough to completely disengage the clutch. I too believed that during rest, the TO bearing should be away from the rotating pressure plate. I have asked several others in the hobby and most reply that the TO bearing at rest should not touch the pressure plate.

To help me feel better, I would like to hear from others. Should a modern TO bearing touch or not the pressure plate at rest (no foot on the clutch)?

I am asking because my external slave will only move the outside tip of my clutch arm about 3/4". I do not believe the clutch is completely disengaged when I shift. I have the longer clutch arm that pivots on the passenger side. My clutch arm must be "pushed" toward the front of the car to disengage. This direction seems different from many other clutch arm set-ups. I think I need 1" or so of clutch arm travel to completely disengage.

Thanks in advance