Thread: Quickest cobra
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2001, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Ed,
John Force is already running a handful of cars. Go and propose the Cobra to him - one more in his stable can't hurt...

Mick,
There are a couple more Qlders with some interesting cars being built at the moment. There's an SVO siamese bore block 426 cube windsor on the go with solid roller, Vic Jr heads, Super Victor manifold, injected etc etc. This is going into a Robnell.

A lightweight RMC is nearly finished with a 377 stroker with a T-Trim Vortech, Motec, Yates heads, large air/air intercooler. He's aiming for a genuine 550hp at the wheels (on a dyno dynamics dyno - these give a lower power reading than the U.S. dynojet dynos) Looking at coming in around 1000kg wet, this is about 200kg less than many RMCs.

There are a number of completed supercharged Cobras in the club, but I haven't heard of any representative times or speeds from them. If a near standard Mustang in the States can run low 12s with just an S-Trim Vortech, then any supercharged Cobra would want to be running low 11s/high 10s in a similar state of tune. Geez, my old Falcon with a MILD big block can run high 11s on 235 street tyres, and it weighs 1795kgs!!!

My Cobra is being built more for handling than 1/4 mile traction, but I'm expecting some decent terminal speeds nonetheless. You can draw a pretty accurate link between terminal speeds and horsepower (and I'm not even a mechanical engineer ), and I'll stand by what my dyno sheets and terminal speeds eventually show. Who knows, I could be setting myself up for huge disappointment and ridicule. This is all part of the fun of building the car - the anticipation!!

See you at the Street Car Shootout this weekend,
Craig