View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

I did machine my 37mm chokes to 39mm, and ended up having to go to 40mm because of the final finishing. Make them all 41,5mm, or take your 37mm and make them 40mm.
I have been working on my new KC 487 sideoiler, where all the settings I had did not work any more. I tried the new F14 tubes I got and they were too lean in the low range. I did turn the outer diameter from 8.2mm to 7.9 and it was much better, but still probably needed some more holes below the top row to work well.
Before going to drilling the F14 tube I did take the F11 tubes, soldered the lowest row of holes shut so as to make an F15 tube out of it and it seems to be the best so far. I have 140 main jets on it right now but will go to 135. The air corrector is at 120 now. Idle is 65 with 120 holder. Pump bypass jet is 0.35.
I have had issues with the pump jets. On idle I have seen some of them dripping gasoline and on shutdown when the webers absorb the heat from the engine and get warmer fuel drips from the pump jets into the throats. No good!.
So I removed all the pump jets, took a 2mm tap and screwed it inside the brass plug in order to pull it out.
Some of the seats for the small ball inside looked terrible, so that closing the hole with the ball must have been impossible.
I drilled a conical shape with a 3mm drill on the brass plug and and replaced the 2.38mm steel balls with 3mm ones. They are slightly larger and twice as heavy and I must test how they work. I believe that if the vacuum is very high such as with our Hi-Po engines the vacuum is drawing gasoline out of the pump jet because of defective manufacturing process and throwing any idle-transition tune up out of kilter.
If the weekend is sunny I will try it out and post results.