View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     
Default Radiator issues... recommendations

As winter approaches in full force, I'll be taking out my Ron Davis Radiator; this will be the 3rd time. It has a leak again. RD fixed it for free once. I don't know exactly where the leak is, but if past history from the previous 2 times are an indication, I would bet good money it's in the upper right corner as in the previous 2. RD will charge me if I send it to them again, but they are based out of AZ. Shipping to and from would already be about $100.

I know RD has a reputation but this is getting old. The first time, on the first radiator, I tried to get a shop to fix it and they totally messed it up. I took blame for the leak because I hard-mounted it to the frame.

On radiator #2, I used more cushioning. It leaked but then when RD got the radiator, they spoted some electroysis. While I have two large ground straps from the engine to the frame, I made sure upon remounting the radiator, that it was not touching the frame as to ground itself and become a conductor. Upon final mounting, and lots of insulation and a custom bracket I fabbed up, I took my multimeter and did not register ANY continuity to the frame.

Well, it started to leak again; first a very tiny bit. Then a little more. I tried some alumaseal but this only stopped it for about 2 -3 weeks. Then it started up again.

So here's my thoughts:

1) Find a shop that know's how to repair this radiator. I mean they actually must remove the tank sides to reveal all the welds to the horizontal tubes; I highly suspect this is where I'll find the problem. Hoping repairs are no more than $200.

2) Just buy a less expensive radiator for $300. A 347CID motor shouldn't get hot enough to utilize a RD radiator of this size. Most people have used Mustang radiators for similar sized engines with no problems. An Afco or Be-Cool or even a Griffen radiator would likely be ok. I can even get a fairly inexpensive one straight from Factory Five.

If some of you know of a GOOD shop with fair prices (I'm not looking for the cheapest, just someone that knows how to repair this kind of radiator), I'll at least call them for a quote. I'll be able to bring them the radiator for their inspection.

TIA,

Herman