View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

For what it's worth, in Dec 2004 before the first Bash, I spent the day down at Ron's place hangin' out with him and his son, checking out the shop. There may be some confusion here about what was used, and what is there...

It was really cool. There were a number of "things" that he purchased and acquired from way back, racking, some original 4" round tubing still on the racks, machines, milling tools, various original track/crew boxes from "LeMans", and other stuff I bet he will share with all of you if you ask him. We talked about him possibly having some of it put in a museum, and what he would do with it. Obviously some deep history there for him. It was the real stuff, no kidding. He never claimed to me any of that was used to build more Cobras, as he had kept all of it as-is, original. It was all stored, just sitting there for a long time, just being saved for something, someday. I saw it, first hand.

In his office, there was also a picture of something that he was working on (prototype recreation idea) at the moment, that I cannot talk about, but it was pretty cool, and I can tell you they only made one or two of them back in the day. I don't think that effort ever came to, but it was something all of you would be interested in seeing had it been recreated.

Sharing some ideas and history and thoughts, and building cars, he even talked to me for a few minutes about buying and taking over what was there from the remaining parts and inventory on the Butler Cars, and just enough to be able to recreate a few cars and enough parts for at least 5 other cars all in bins, boxes. We were there to get some parts for a friends car and to check out a few of the last cars he was building from parts inventory. If I was retired, I would have done it just to finish five more cars for fun and to sell them and put them on the road.

We tried to get him to come to the Bash that next year in '05. He is a pretty low key guy, not looking for that kind of attention. I took a picture of him standing next to one of his engineering award statues in his office that I could tell was something very signifigant in his life. It was a good day, and found Ron to be an absolute gentlemen and no BS at all.

More awards and articles and trophys than one person could ever fit in a single office. Very accomplished. Was lucky to meet him and see it.

Meeting him and listening to it all, and seeing a few things was special. A true engineer and craftsman. It was just one more example of one of those guys who was truly behind the scenes, without all the hooplah, and made it happen back then.

Last edited by decooney; 11-07-2008 at 12:15 AM..