View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     
Default First Drive today - speedo and electrically issues / help?

Today was the first day ERA 739 touched the street. I know its late in the year but at least she is now "roadworthy". To get to the point, I had a couple issues that I need some help on.

1) The speedo jumped around for a block or two and then total quick working. I checked the connections, reverse drive gear (for the smiths guage) and everything seems to be functioning ok? Do I need to check it on the transmission end?

2) The bigger problem is once I had the speed cable apart, I was going to take it for a drive to see if the cable coming off the tranmission was spinning but never got that far....dead battery (battery was brand new optima). After looking at all the wiring (the ERA foks did this part of the build for me), I also checked the alternator which seemed ok. The other part I noticed when the car was running is the ammeter never hardley moved...if anything only slightly negative but never positive. I took the battery to be checked out and it was dead ( I have it on a trickle charger tongiht)....I am afraid the same thing will happen tomorrow when I re-install it. NOTE...I took the alternator into a auto shop and it seemed good.....any thoughts????

Thanks, Kramer