View Single Post
Old 10-22-2001, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur Cobra 5.0 FI
Not Ranked     

Hi Tom,

I have a 96 Excalibur Cobra # M123141. It' a 302. Not long ago I visited the plant. Took the car home for a visit, so to speak. They are still in business, but not making cars anymore. I must say they were very friendly and helpfull. Main product is very high end enclosed motorcycle trailors. Several of the people from the very beginning of the company are still there. Because I have no documentation with the car, I was interested in the origin of as many of the parts as possible. Below is a list of what I was told verbally. This may be of interest to other owners, although I'm not sure the parts origin was consistent over the course of production. All of their original records were lost during a computor changeover.

Has an 8.8" Ford rear end..
Rear brakes are probably 94 Mustangs.
Front brakes are 79 Granada.
Catalytic Converters are 94 Mustang but are custom cut.
It has a reinforced windshield for rollover.
Rear springs come from Dales race shop. 175 # rating.
Front are Carrera coil over springs and shocks.
Steering column is a Chevy S-10 pickup
Steering rack is from a 79 Mustang 2.
Finish Line has all sorts of after market parts and will probably have the Lucas taillight assemblies.
The entire interior was made at Excalibur.
The radiator is special. Was made at Scotty's Radiator Shop in Milwaukee.
The temp gauge runs about 20 deg high. The engine normally runs at about 190 degrees.
Goodyear on Hwy. 100 and National can do front end alignment.
A 1 drive shaft built the driveshaft.
The compressor on the air conditioner is stock but all the lines are custom.
The brake master cylinder came from NAPA but no one knows who made it.
The top hose is a 94 Mustang hose cut to fit.
The lower hose is a universal radiator hose.
The alarm cuts out the fuel pump, the starter and the ignition. It cannot be bypassed. You can not get duplicate keys. There was a red master key that can be used to reprogram the gray keys if you have the instructions. Made by Hella.

Hope the info is helpful. Let me know how many owners you find. The factory says they built about 200 units, but the number varies depending who you talk to.

ddavies@msn.com