View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

For those wondering, like I was, what the functions are for the seven aircraft toggles on the Sebring car dashes, like CSX2129 in my first post, I found this dash from CSX2136, one of three Shelby competition cars referred to as the "LeMans replicas", that has the functions listed:

However, one thing that kind of gnawed at me while I have been waiting for the car to get started was my initial choice of putting some 1963 details, like the Sebring car dash, the blue background badges and kidney bean wheels, on a 1964 FIA-style body. My dilemma was that I wanted a comp car body, but didn't want an FIA-style dash with the speedo out-of-sight way off to the right, and I don't want any of the 1963 Sebring/LeMans style cars that are available from other vendors.

So, I did more research and looked up the chassis numbers for the sixteen cars built by AC and Shelby with the FIA-style body. Then, I searched the internet to see if I could find photos of the dashboards.

I discovered that some later competition cars had a more conventional dash layout, but with obvious competition upgrades. Below is the dash from CSX2557; note the unusual Jones tach with the Cobra logo on it! Good luck finding one of those!

Here is CSX2558 with a Stewart-Warner tach, which is still available; the two toggles are for the fuel pump and the cooling fan. The knob to the left of the switchplate is for the headlights, the knob on the right is for the wipers. Note that four of the small gauges are 2 5/8", but the ammeter is 2 1/16". The 1-10psi fuel gauge is no longer available, but a 1-15psi is.

Although only a true enthusiast would be aware that I was "mixing" components from different years, I decided that I would always be a little uncomfortable if my car wasn't as close to "period correct" as possible. So, I am going to use this dash layout, go back to the white Cobra badges (anyone want a pair of blue ones??) and use FIA-style wheels, even though Peter P. "loves the kidney beans"!

Also, I found a picture from the Shelby archives of a customer ordered FIA-bodied car that was originally finished in what appears to be British Signal Red (there happens to be a red MGA in the background which matches it, and MG used "Signal Red" on the MGA), so I am comfortable with that color on a comp car. Now, all I need is a chassis number!

Last edited by jeffy; 12-06-2008 at 09:01 AM..