View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

Zimmy,
Quote:
I have been fighting a problem for a while and need someone's help. I have 48 IDAs on a big block with the 10 deg canted intake. Whenever I stop the car after a drive, the heat seems to percolate the fuel and I get dripping out of the accelerator pump jet. It collects in the throat and eventually leaks out of the throttle shaft onto the manifold.

I have a return line on the fuel so it should be immediately dropping pressure when the car is turned off and I have the phenolic gaskets under the carbs.
I have exactly the same problem. The biggest problem is that the fuel also drips into the engine and will end up wearing your rings prematurely.
The fact is that the carbs are absolutely cool when I arrive at my garage, even after hard driving, but after about 10 minutes they are hot as hell and and I can hear a boiling noise and gasoline dripping out of the pump jets.
The phenolic spacers help, the return line also, the smallest pump bypass did not, but the problem seems to be the heat emanating from the engine after shutdown and rising around the carbs which heats them up. Also keeping the hood open does not help.
I did build myself a heatshield for one carb in order to see if it would help, but it did not. I am seriously thinking of installing a fan to get the heat out of the engine with a timing device so it will come on when I shut of the engine off and stay on for about 15 minutes. Where to install the fan is what I am thinking about now.
I read somewhere Rick Lake suggesting to install two fans, one behind each side vent. That could be an elegant solution and would also help during hot days and slow trafic to keep things cool.
I am thinking of some type of 5 inch computer fan with low consumption, because if necessary it could stay on longer without draining the battery.

This is right now my only problem with the webers.