View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

I think that the problem is the choice of emulsion tube, main jet and air corrector.
Idle can vary, but I am running a 65 idle jet with a 100 holder. Maybe some slight changes up or down, but that is about it on the idle circuit.
On the main, with 40 mm chokes I have now an F15 with some additional holes drilled up the tube, which has been running quite well, with no transition problems whatsoever with a 145 main jet and 100 air corrector. Yes, an .100 air corrector and the lambda sensor does not lie, the a/f ratio (still rich right now) stays the same up to 6000 rpm.
I did have some hesitation when driving part throttle at 3000-4000 rpm, and was trying to modify the emulsion tube when I discovered that the ignition was at fault.
I discovered one of the springs in the MSD Billet distributor broken ( and rusted) , so the advance was on all the time and with the timing light some cylinders were showing misses. I fixed that and then discovered the ignition still missing at above 3000 rpm and even retarding at higher engine speed. I did clean the distributor cap inside (lots of rust and carbon powder all over the place) and closed the sparkplug gap to 0.045. Ignition is ok now with no misfires now and under the timing light absolutely steady up to the max advance of 38º.
If the weather permits I will take the cobra out tomorrow and see the behaviour of the engine .It is running very, very well and maybe only some mods to the emulsion tube will make it do any better.
Right now I can go from 1000 to WOT in 4th gear with no noticeable bogs in between. That is not bad I think.