Old 12-30-2008, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Dave,
Your workmanship is excellent. Just a couple of questions:
The progressive link to the rear carb is mounted in the lower hole; mine and many I've seen are in the upper. I think your's will come on sooner. Also I've since fabbed a direct link with heim joints and the rear in now 1 to1 with the front. I found a definite improvement in smoothness and throttle response with no ill effect. Of course I run 200 cfm less than you.
No offense but I'm not a fan of throttle cables, especially with the near 180 your cable makes over the headers. I've found that the cross-over linkage and all it's pivots need a strong and stable driving linkage. Especially with strong springs. ERA's all use rods and I fabbed thicker diameter solid rods (not all thread) with quality heims. Works very well for many years.
You're soon to add the return springs, right?
Would you mind posting a shot with the hat off? I'd love to see Barry's mod to the air horns.
Should run very well and please post results. Make little travel indicators for the vac sec linkages, you'll see how little they actually open even when you load it heavily.
Thanks,
It only makes sense to put the rear carb lever closer to the center of axis compared to the front carb. You need that second carb to be fully open when the primary carb is. The back carb requires less linkage travel that the front carb to have the butterflies wide open. If you do it the other way the rear carb's butterflies will never open all the way.

I don't like the cable linkage either but I'm sort of stuck with it. That s, unless you know of some type of retrofit that would work?

I'll post after the road test..