View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm View Post
The saga of intellectual property rites over the photos of my car for the Street Machine magazine has had another interesting twist.

I knew that the photographer sold the images to a poster company to produce and sell posters.

While I think this stinks it is just the way it is.

The interesting part is that I have seen the poster, produced by a company in the UK and it has the title "Shelby Cobra". The poster has the legal line stating that the use of the word "Shelby" and "Cobra" has been approved by Shelby America.

So my issue is that Shelby is very quick to pursue people for the unlicensed use of their trademarks but this is a misrepresentation of the car.

It is not a Shelby Cobra it is a home built car that resembles the original shape.

On the flip side am I know able to legally describe my car as a "Shelby Cobra"?

Before it starts there is nothing I want to do about this I think it would be good to see what others opinions are.

Thanks

Phil
If the photographer wasn't forthright with you, it's not implausible to think that he didn't actually get approval for that tagline. It makes you wonder why they would approve "Shelby Cobra" when it's not.