View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes, the body is an original design. Myself, brother in law Paul, and good friend Mike (body/paint guy) created the shape. It is based upon the styling of the late 50's sport racer, especially the Lister. But, it is not a copy and we made it so that big guys can easily fit in it.
We built a wooden buck, glue foam to it, shaped the foam and then did the last layers in bondo. Then sanded until our arms fell off until we got the shape we wanted. It took months of work. After one side was the way I wanted I then made templates every 2 inches and bonded the edge of the template to the base plug. I removed the templates (1/4 foam board) and filled in the low areas with a contrasting color of bondo. Then sanded down to the contrasting ridges.
The plug was then prepared as for paint. It was clear coated and then wet sanded. Then we made the molds from that. The plug then gets thrown out!!!
This is the fourth time that I have gone through that process as I was not satisfied with the first 3 attempts. This is the final version. I love it! Hope that others will too!