View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

I spoke with Peter this morning, and my ERA FIA is underway; the chassis number is 2131! The frame has been welded and powder-coated, and they are putting in the lines. Danny has also gotten started with the motor. Next step is a visit to New Britain to review everything. There is no turning back now!

I have done some more research on rear-end and transmission gearing combinations, and am now leaning toward the following: 3.07 rear gears and the Richmond Road Race 5-speed, with a 3.04 1st, 2.13 2nd, 1.57 3rd, 1.24 4th and 1:1 final. I like the Richmonds because of their durability reputation, and I like this gearing combination because, at the wheels, it is pretty much the same as a 3.77 rear with a close-ratio TopLoader (2.32 1st, 1.69 2nd, 1.29 3rd, 1:1 4th), which is how I understand the original race cars were set up. The 1:1 fifth with the 3.07 rear is, in effect, a 0.81 overdrive with a 3.77 rear. I don't want a short first and, based on my conversations with Danny, my engine won't match well with a steep final gear or overdrive. Since "the Webers like to run wide open", and I don't plan long highway cruises, I'm not even sure I'll spend much time in fifth, but I think it is worth having.