View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 428SCJ
Not Ranked     
Default Engine compartment cooling

Hi Everyone,

For the last year I have had a problem with my engine running hot. A few questions first. This is a Midstates cobra with a 428 SCJ motor with slight mods. What is the max temp when I should start to worry? What temp thermostat should I run? (currently 160 deg) I have had differing responses to this. I have been able to address a lot of heat problems by going to an aluminum radiator. Had a custom shroud made to fit it and am running an electric puller fan. Have mounted two original looking pusher on the front with a remote switch. I have no problem while moving at a speed in excess of 35 mph. The problem seems to be a build up of heat in the engine compartment. Approaches I have been looking at to resolve this problem 1. Add a Flex-a-lite fan to the water pump (Looks tacky in the engine bay) 2. Try to find a 4" squirrel cage blower and mount one above each header an force hot air out side lovers. 3. design a ducting system of some sorts. 4. put lovers in the back of the front fender wells to force air onto the headers. My problem is while cuizin in stop and to traffic in 80+ degree days.
Does anyone know the normal hot running temp of a 428?

Thanks for any suggestions and assistance.

Mark