View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Actually, it has a current California title (I just got it last night), as a 65 Cobra. The dealer titled it in CA before selling it.
Interesting... I wonder how the dealer titled it in CA as a 1965. If the vehicle's title originated in a state (not CA) where it was legally titled as a 1965, and then re-titled in CA as a 1965, then there is probably no worries - this would be like re-titling a used vehicle being brought in CA. However, if the dealer acquired the title as original in CA as a 1965 (ie: first title in CA, not brought into CA as a used, already-legally-titled vehicle), then he may have crossed a line.

Moving forward, I think the key thing is what the CO DMV will do, assuming you plan on re-titling/registering it in CO. Do they accept 1965 titles from CA for "specially" constructed vehicles? Or are you required to change the title from "1965 Cobra" to "200x Specially Constructed Vehicle"? I'm sure someone from CO can elaborate here on this...

You might want to look into the paper trail that lead to your new acquisition being titled as a 1965 Cobra in CA. If the paper trail is not "clean" and the CO DMV steps in, then you may have grounds to go back to the selling dealer.

Again, very interesting... Keep us updated of what you find...ok?