View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I figured I'd get a mixed reaction.

Like I said, I can respect the purist opinion on the whole deal.

I'm not wealthy enough to afford a good weather car (nor do I have enough garage space to tie up an entire bay with a car that only goes out when it's sunny or fair weather out).

The other aspect I like about it is that I'll be able to install a viable roll cage. Something not possible with a roadster. I want a street car that is halfway safe as well. Up till now, the thought of driving a cobra at the track was quite frankly a bit scary. (at least with a cabin and a roll cage there's less of a chance of grating my face and helmet to a pulp if the car goes tits up). I know, I know, roadsters can feature roll bars....but they look to be about as effective as peanut shell helmet....there only out of a sense of satsifying a requirement rather than a true intent for safety.

Anyway, I like it....a lot.

And as far as the rest of the comments.

1) I agree, the exhaust fit/finish SEEMS strange to me from the photographs. Not sure why they don't follow the body lines better.

2) As far as engines go, we could debate forever. I'm a mustang fan, not necessarily a Ford nut. GM, Chrysler and Ford all produce engine platforms that have high points and low points. Pick your poison. Even a rice burner can be made to perform and do it well. I don't see anything terrible about a GM power train.

3) As far as the auto goes, it's personal preference. I think a true auto leaves a bit to be desired in a sports car. I plan to run a racing auto (reverse manual valve body) and eventually put automatic paddle shifters. I guess it would be closer to call it a "clutchless" rather than an auto. In any sense though, all things being equal, autos outperform manuals. Only in NASCAR (which is more concerned with equity and fair play than effectiveness....which is why they run old technology) do they feature manuals. Drag and Indy feature autos.

I agree that a true clutch/manual is the most fun, but for snapping out 10 second 1/4 passes, hole shots and straightaway runs......an auto is more effective and more importantly....more consistent. (that's one of the biggest reasons the drag guys use them)....again....I'm speaking of a manual v-body version.