View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

Automan .... I`ve got a 63 1/2 Galaxie Q Code changed over to R Code specs that is fully restored . Don`t know if you are looking for a paint that is the same color as the 427`s were from the factory back then ( 1963 and 1964 ) , but a very close match is made by Krylon . Look for their # 1618 BBQ & Stove Black . It`s a semigloss/flat black and good for about 1200 degrees , per Krylon . On my block , I cleaned it with lacquer thinner first , wire brushed it good , went over it with lacquer thinner again until clean and then Prepsol before spraying it . I went with multiple thin coats as opposed to several heavy coats . The heads are harder to keep paint on .... especially where the exhaust ports are . They go flat first and I have to touch them up about once a year .
I take my engine out about every two or three years to redo it as it is much easier than keeping it in the car and I can redo the cast iron headers also .
I`m curious .... I thought the Thunderbolt was a 1964 Fairlane and the first year for the Galaxie with the 427 was 63 1/2 ... unless your engine originally came from a 1963 1/2 Galaxie ??
Anyway ... good luck and if you find a better mousetrap , please post so I can try it .