View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1991 RMC 1966 427SC replica, 302 Cleveland, Edelbrock manifold with 600 Holley double pumper.
Not Ranked     
Default Tenax clips and Cloth type

Merv,

I used the Tenax type (some people refer to them as "lift a dot" I think?) as they lock down on the pin. You need to lift the button to release, it is more secure particularly when you are doing 100Kph IMO. The roof can bellow quite a bit at speed. The Tenax clips do stand out and the black option looks the goods from the link above if you want to blend them in.

I used Mercedes cloth for my roof. Yes, it is more expensive but the quality and finish suit the car. I have zip in side curtains which work well and I dont expect to get the car waterproof anyway. There are other options like SAAB and BMW cloth and quality is similar.

Here's an old picture of my car just after the roof was finished. I could send some photos with some closer shots of the roof and the side curtains if you want.

Gregg,

There are several trimmers I can recommend to you and some have done many cobra's in Melbourne. The guy (Chris O'Shea - Moorabbin) I used had a lot of experience and a good reputation as a trimmer, but he had not done a cobra before (So I took a bit of a chance and made sure he took his time) My roof turned out excellent and am very happy with it. It has been used on a number of occasions even in the current climate. You will be surprised that it can be fine in Melbourne but head down the coast or somewhere and if you get caught with rain you can simply put the roof on. I have made my own bags for the roof, side curtains and roof bows that pack neatly in the boot.

Cheers

Tony