View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

My Webers have always leaked and are one of my main concerns right now.
The pump bypass does not help, I tried that out with the smallest one possible (0.35) and only got a bog when accelerating. The phenolic spacers helped some but did not totally do away with the problem.
When I stop the car the Webers are cool. After a while they get really hot from the engine heat. They get so hot that the fuel trapped in the conduit between the pump plunger and the pump jet starts boiling (you can hear it !) and drips out of the pump jet. And it can be quite an amount.
The float level has no effect on this because the pump circuit gets the gasoline from the bottom of the bowl as has been said here, and if you lower it too much you can get fuel starvation when taking fast and tight turns. This problem has nothing to do with the fuel level and fuel supply by means of a bypass, lowering fuel pressure or letting the fuel bowls empty some before shutdown.
The only way to get around this problem is to get the hot air out of the upper engine bay.
Maybe a flexible duct drawing air between the Webers and with an exhaust fan infront of the engine or behind it or a 12 Volt computer fan behind each side vent in the engine compartment and have them come on when you shut down the engine. This way you remove the hot air that is trapped under the hood.
The aluminum Webers heat up fast with the hot air trapped under the hood and slowly exiting through the scoop.
This can be done elegantly with a relay and a timing circuit so the fans come on automatically and shut off after 10 minutes.
What I do now and what really helps is to open the hood when I stop and the heat gets out fast and does not soak up the Webers. No dripping this way.