Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrarkc View Post
Doug
Nice synopsis of the 2 engines. What are you going to do with the Cleveland from your car? You could buy slap on some CHI 3V heads and a stroker kit and forget that FE.LOL Just kinding but it would definately rock. I'll let you know how mine compares to my friends 482FE.
Just as Doug has explained the Cleveland is making a big comeback maybe even bigger than the FE's and the winner of the EMC was Jon Kaase with a 400C with CHI heads in fact if you look back for the last 3 or 4 years the CHI (Cleveland) headed engines have been the majority of the top 5. Back in the 70's the use to turn them to 9000rpm with the stock cast cranks.
Rich, I remain a HUGE fan of the Cleveland. I get a real laugh when folks start with the old 1974 era stories about no lower end torque and the much overblown oiling "problems" of the Cleveland. The fact is those problems are long ago solved, and were never really as bad as lore suggests back when they were a problem, way back in the days of Pam Grier and polyester leisure suits. Keep in mind that the much fretted about oiling problems of the Cleveland were hardly any worse than the almost as bad oiling system of the Windsor, which is hardly the high point of automotive oiling system design itself. If not for originality I would NEVER have pulled the Cleveland from my car. I would love to do a GT40 one day, and I would love to do it with a Cleveland. Imagine a GT40 with a 8000+ RPM 460" all aluminum Cleveland singing it's 700 HP song, all for about the same price as a Roush 427 Windsor. Now THAT's a song I would love to hear! By the way, just for point of interest, the stock Cleveland cast cranks were pretty much bulletproof. You had to make insane horsepower to start thinking about having to replace it with an aftermarket piece in your build.
Hey, Rich - I see you're right over in NJ - I still have the 351C header pipes from the Contemporary and they're in great shape - you want 'em? Come and grab them, they're yours for free for the taking. I'm right on Long Island. For time estimates, I work at Newark Airport and it takes me 1 hour and 5 minutes from my driveway to the employee lot at the south end of the airport. It's a quick jump over the Goethals and the Verrazano Bridges. Let me know. By the way, I sold the engine to a guy who's going to build it up and put it in a Torino GT. Nice car, great engine. I can't wait to see it done.