View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

OK--consider my FE (390 V8, Canton oil pan, Blue Thunder medium-riser aluminum intake manifold, "cleaned-up" Ford cast iron heads, hydraulic lifters, Cobra LeMans black finned rocker covers although I may use my original-type chromed pentroof rocker covers on occasion), built for durability and reliability with reworked stock crank and rods, everything else new, with power similar to the original 428 road car.

I had estimated 375 hp (actual dyno: 381) and 427 lbs-ft of torque (actual dyno: 429); torque curve is nice and flat. Cost of the engine assembly (without my own carburetor, water pump, starter, or alternator, but with my recurved Ford FE distributor and Pertronix conversion kit, Pertronix coil, and ignition wires) was $3960. from Carolina Machine Engines. That's $10.39 per horsepower for an engine essentially identical to the original 428 road car for power (and identical externally for appearance), with all of the reliable power I will reasonably use in ERA 766. As I've noted before, it will be hooked up to a wide-range Toploader and a 3.31 rear end.

Not for everyone, but fine for me and for my intended use of the car, as well as my desire to build it as much like an original as is reasonable.