View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
I have COBRA stamped on both windwings and both sunvisors the stamping is silver without a hint of gold but this is a 427 car. I took a photo for you but picture quality is poor.

Parts on original cars and NOS parts still in AMCO packages indicate like most everything related to Shelby cars there were lots of variations including at least two different colors of Plexiglas® plastic and at least two different sizes of "COBRA" letters. Yes, tint on the lettering varied too but that was probably due to the variances in production of the hot stamp tape. Our plant has been molding and stamping our own parts since 1975. One of the problems back decades ago was getting exact color match between lots of tape. At our plant I was an inspector in the late 1970s and judging color lot to lot was one of my tasks, I rejected a lot to tape and returned it to the supplier. As suppliers moved from simple color measurement machines in production to computerized color measurement systems the lot to lot consistency improved tremendously.

AMCO (the original company and then owned by another outfit) made these parts for quite a while so just about anything is possible variation wise. I bought the last pair of NOS parts from the man that owned the company when it folded. He saved a set for a Cobra he owned but never used them, sold the car first. The set is pristine but there is one problem. The two sun visors were produced at different times and while the plastic color is the same the size of the font for the lettering is different; which didn’t seem to be an issue back when they were being produced.