View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Ford Racing 460 Crate Engine Water Pump Flow Specifications- Stuff to know

I did a little homework today, one call to Ford Racing followed by a call to Edelbrock in CA. I learned Edelbrock manufacturers the Ford Racing 460 crate engine aluminum water pumps. The pump flow data referenced here is for Edelbrock part number #8866 or the Ford part # M-8501-C460. These flow numbers are taken from Edelbrocks water pump flow bench and is based on pump shaft speed. Edelbrock provided the flow data per cylinder bank (LH and RH) to demonstrate they are flowing rates similar as they enter each cylinder bank on the engine block.
For example the flow rate shown in the graph for 32 gpm@ 2,000 rpm means 16 gpm measured from each outlet (cylinder bank) of the pump.
Remember, this is pump flow capacity and is not the actual engine or radiator coolant flow, they will be less due to the head losses from the restriction in the complete cooling circuit.

The Edelbrock data is only available from 2K-5K pump shaft rpm. This info is helpful when sizing your cooling system (or pump selection) to ensure you'll have the cooling capacity for the enigne's horsepower and intended use (Street or Track). See attached flow graph I put together. DATA SOURCE: Edelbrock, Torrance , CA

My next graph will show you the difference in engine coolant flow rate (gpm) between a 6.25" diameter Water Pump Pulley and the 5.25" diameter Water Pump Pulley assuming a 5.75" diameter crank pulley is used. Stay tuned.
Attached Images

Last edited by kitcarbp; 03-26-2009 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: More info