View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob. Smith View Post
Does anyone know the process and materials to obtain such a polish. I've got a few bits I want to polish & my method is pretty slow and laborious.
Polishing aluminum is not too labor intensive. You need a cloth wheel on a variable speed grinder/polisher and some rouge paste--the polisher I use looks like a standard bench grinder but has a speed control. The tricky part is getting the polishing speed correct, the rouge packaging should have the correct RPM. If not, it's a matter of trial and error, but it's not too hard to get it right by trial and error. I've done it many times on aluminum bicycle parts, shifters, brakes, cranks, etc......you can get a mirror finish but it won't last long, aluminum oxidizes in the atmosphere and that dulls the finish. Some sort of coating would be helpful in maintaining a reflective finish, I suppose.

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!