View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
Dave, I'm in the process of building my first FE and after reading about thisa subject here and over on the FE forum I decided to use the bypass hose. At the very worst it couldn't hurt.
It also sounds like you may have a sticking thermostat. Do you have a matched housing and intake for the thermostat size? Don't really know if I said that right; but do your intake opening, housing opening and thermostat size match? I didn't even know that could be an issue untill about a month ago.
What intake gaskets are you using? I went with KCR's and they fit perfect on my Ed heads.

Steve
The thermostat's fine, this has played out with three different thermostats all producing the same symptoms. The housings are all a match. I'm running the 2 x 4 Tunnel Wedge with Keith's custom gaskets for his stage II heads (much bigger ports than any OEM gaskets).

I would appear with only 3 little holes to permit circulation the coolant is allowed to become far to "stagnant" in the system. Hot spots are developing before the heated water can make it to the stat's thermo-bulb to enable stat opening.