View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

I have seen but otherwise have limited experience with the Backdraft. I have talked to a few of their sales people and liked them.

I do own a SPF and am biased with no regrets.

I have driven my car to from my home in Michigan to Colorado then Montana and home twice for about 4,500 miles each trip. VIR for track events twice, 15 track days total, the London Cobra Show three times and multiple other long distance drives. In these trips I have had a ignition switch go bad but once I figured it out it was manageable and during a track event I broke a CV joint. This is the extent of malfunctions that caused real problems during trips and events. All this in 42k of hard miles since August of 2004. I have also had a few engine issues but this has nothing to do with the chassis. Oh, I don't own a trailer, if I can't drive to where I want to be I don't go.

I drive in the rain too, lots of it without issues. Good tires, high speed (80-100) and the water goes over the cockpit. So much for those that don't think you can drive in the rain, my SPF and I will prove them wrong.

Why a SPF - because it works, it looks great, excellent paint, great interiors, most pieces are period correct. The car is fitted with top, tonneau cover, leather seats, wood or leather steering wheel, coil overs, IRS, great brakes, Halibrand style wheels and knock-offs and many things that are options with other brands.

Are there things that could be improved, of course, show me any car that doesn't beg for personalization or specialization to accommodate a particular use. With the SPF the SCOF group discusses enhancements, lighting for night driving, suspension for track uses, exhaust for increased performance, roll bars, brakes for track use. People have been doing the same with cars since four wheels hit the road.

Is it pricey well this depends on how you look at it. If you want a complete car that you just need to choose and install the drive train then it's a great value.

I'd do it again if needed to w/o looking back or thinking about another brand.

But I'm biased.

Jim SPF 1855