View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Several
Not Ranked     

Great stuff! You'se guys are too much...

i suppose van Gogh simply assembled and re-arranged a few bits of canvas and pigments such that the beauty simply became apparent. But, Gogh was certainly the creator, if not the Creator.

Similarly, one might insist that Michelangelo's DAVID was already within the stone, before it was shaped. Perhaps Michey only re-arranged or removed the waste materials?
See: http://www.econ.ohio-state.edu/jhm/arch/david/David.htm

So, certainly CS was not the first to use the moniker to describe a hot shot beautiful two-seater; that is reserved to the 1955/6 Chris-Craft's beautiful and very expensive Cobra speed-boat.

And there were other Cobras; engines, radios and lots of other stuff before and after 1962. Only Caroll's Cobra won the World Championships.

Rather obviously, the essential and detail design was AC, particularly if you look carefully at the RuddSpeed body changes, FORD engine use and various modifications. Of course, i realize the modifications and necessary improvements made by Remmington and his team during testing and the race seasons. After all, Phil recently signed my old copy of the dealers parts manual and we talked at length about his practical engineering approach to problem solving, both with Shelby and just previously to SA at Princeton Street with the Scarab's of Baron Lance Reventlow.

But, Shel' made it happen, to his everlasting credit in my view. Over-bearing personality be hanged. It doesn't count much in the end.

For this point, i am reminded of the Churchill story about his encounter with David Inches (family butler):

"Winston Churchill: You're very rude to me, Inches.
David Inches: You're very rude to me, sir.
Winston Churchill: Yes but I am a great man!
[Churchill leaves]
David Inches: No, you're not. You're a stupid ole bugger."

"Winston Churchill [subsequent and unrelated quote]:
I've lived too long, I'm in the ruck, I've drunk too deeply of the cup,
I cannot spend, I cannot fruck, I'm down and out! I'm buggered up!"

More or less covers the waterfront, doesn't it?
---------------
Can we get a group rate on the chemistry, Mr. T?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington