Thread: Finally painted
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival.
Not Ranked     

It is worth while having a go yourself as mentioned by a few of the guys and if you do stuff it up, your've done a grand or so. I'm sure we have all wasted money on buying parts for our cars just to find they don't fit or look crap, so whats a bit more going to matter.

Damo, I would look into that quote a bit more as it sound good.
I have sent over 200 hours working on the body getting it ready for painting but it was my first attemp and I have tried to get it straight. This is a conservative estimate and does not allow for beer breaks and the endless visits from family and friends.
Just one tip for anyone having a go themselves, don't do it in the middle of summer as the beer breaks are endless.

Hi Peter, it is 2 pak clear over base. I used U-Pol 'Reface" as the high build, Dupont 1040R Universal primer, DuPont Centari 6000 for the base colours and DuPont 696S clear. All are simple to use and are at the top end of the paint market for quality.
I had only ever painted a bonnet before about 27 years ago (**** I'm getting old) but nothing else.
May pay to look into a 10 week TAFE course. The courses in Geelong offer the use of spray booths which could be handy.

Cheers.

Last edited by cobbindale; 05-01-2009 at 03:16 AM.. Reason: add text