Thread: Finally painted
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival.
Not Ranked     

Hi Sambo,

Hard to give a true indication, as I would have intensions of a big day in the garage and end up spending up to 6 hours on xbox live (suckers game).

I did take 4 weeks leave in Feb were most of the body straightning/bogging work was done and some of these days were up to 10 hrs.
Once the body was close to were I wanted it, the high fill was a day to mask, a day to shoot and 2 days to rub. I now know via a spray painter, I probably should have built it up much higher as I did spray a few areas up to 4 times that I was not happy with. This would have waisted up to a week as I worked on one area at a time.
The primer was a day to mask, day to shoot and a day of sanding.
Colour was a day to mask, under colour coat and base colour coat were done at the same time.
Stripes took almost a day to mask, this was added to the masking used to paint colour and sprayed same day.
A day preparing and spraying the clear coat.
I have not blocked it back. I'm waiting to get it outside before making that decision.
There was a lot of waisted time because I was unsure and wanted it straight and it was my first big job so I didnt rush. But it is worth having a go I think.

Best thing I did which put me at ease with the finish was to spray areas of the car with prepsol/wax & grease remover which shows what the panel would look like from the reflections to check straightness, curves etc.
Oh, to answer your question, the body mods were done earlier and not included in the prep work.

Cheers.

Last edited by cobbindale; 05-04-2009 at 05:04 AM..