Thread: Sidepipe rattle
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Had the same problem. It has the helical baffle on the tube. Problem is the brackets and welds at both the front and rear end were insufficient to hold it. EM is aware this is a problem.

Brett eventually replaced the bad one. Then the other side did the same thing. By that time the ownership of the company had changed. Brett said
contact the new owner, the new owner said contact Brett. So it never got fixed.

Regardless, the stock pipes were way too loud for my taste. Contacted Stainless Specialities and ordered a set of their pipes with the Stainless Steel packing. Much better product, much better sound. Excellent service. Still loud, but tolerable.

The EM pipes are virtually straight pipes. The baffles have little effect. There is a half inch gap between the hellical baffle and the outer case, so the bafflling effect is minimal. When we took it to the track in 2008 it was one of the loudest Cobras there, especially when the 427 SO winds out to 5500 RPM

Still have a set of EM pipes in my garage, one in new condition, one needing new welds to secure the baffle. Anyone interested?

The repair of the EM pipes, if done properly, requires cutting it apart, rewelding, and polishing. A larger support needs to be used so it won't happen again.

Usually the front weld break first. Eventually the back will break as well. Then you will be able to stick your hand in the rear and actually wiggle the baffle.

Just bite the bullet and contact Stainless Specialities. . . . . .